How to Clean Trex Decking
Cleaning Trex decking is a simple process that helps keep it looking its best. Trex decking is known for its low-maintenance features, and maintaining its cleanliness is relatively easy. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to clean Trex decking:
Materials You’ll Need:
- Broom or leaf blower
- Mild dish soap
- Soft-bristle brush or mop
- Garden hose or pressure washer (optional)
- Clean, soft cloths
Step 1: Remove Debris
Start by removing any debris, leaves, or dirt from your Trex deck. You can use a broom or a leaf blower to clear the surface thoroughly. This step makes the cleaning process more effective.
Step 2: Prepare a Soapy Solution
Fill a bucket with warm water and add mild dish soap. Choose a gentle, eco-friendly dish soap to avoid damaging your Trex decking. Mix the solution until it forms a soapy water mixture.
Step 3: Scrub the Surface
Dip a soft-bristle brush or mop into the soapy water mixture. Gently scrub the surface of your Trex decking to remove dirt, stains, or mildew. Avoid using abrasive materials or harsh brushes, as they can scratch the surface.
Step 4: Rinse Thoroughly
After scrubbing, thoroughly rinse the deck with clean water. You can use a garden hose for this purpose. If you have access to a pressure washer, you can use it, but ensure it’s set to a low pressure to prevent damage.
Step 5: Dry the Deck
Once rinsed, let the deck air dry, or use clean, soft cloths to dry the surface. Make sure the decking is completely dry before returning any furniture or decorations.
- For tough stains or mold, you can use a commercial deck cleaner designed for composite materials, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Avoid using abrasive cleaning products or steel wool to prevent surface scratches.
- Do not use chlorine bleach, as it can cause discoloration.
- Be cautious with BBQ grills and other heat sources on Trex decking, as excessive heat can cause damage.
Regular cleaning, typically once or twice a year, will help your Trex decking maintain its appearance and longevity. Trex decking is designed to resist staining and fading, and routine cleaning will ensure it remains beautiful for years to come.